Wednesday 24 September 2008

Imagine "Driving Ms. Daisy"

WOW! If you ask my former colleagues, they would tell you how much I love to drive. This time around? Its funny, but I feel intimidated. I have not touched a wheel since I have been to England. Wanna know WHY? Here is the thing...here in England you drive on the left side of the road and the wheel is on the right side. They have so many roundabouts, which is very confusing. Most cars here are very small. I see why.. Not only are the houses are small but also the roads are too small especially when you are driving on the back roads. It seems like you would fall in the ditch. You have to think LEFT at all times.


Sad to say, I have failed the driving test TWICE!. Statistically proven, most people have to retake the test several times paritcularly Americans (Hay, I am not trying to make myself feel good, it is a fact). Even Rodney took it twice. So like "Driving Ms. Daisy", Rodney is driving me around :). In a way, it is a good feeling :).



Well, I know soon I will be behind the wheel.



Rodney started work this week and here I am feel like a lost puppy. But remember, we are still on base where everything is walking distance. However, there is really no where to go but the small BX, commissary, libray and the Village (small cafe area where they serve starbucks). But, it's nothing like Starbucks in the U.S.



Job???



I have been doing a little of job hunting. Tell you what It seems that there are a lot of jobs here in on base, but the only problem is they are all minumum wage paying job. I have not really tried to look in the local economy yet. Worse case scenario, I will try to substitute teaching here on base to give me something to do.

Oh by the way, I have been spending too much time in the library studying about driving in england :). Hopefully, I will complete MA in due time :):):).

1 comment:

Professor Dru said...

Yes, as one of your former coworkers, it is hard to believe that you are not driving. You were always the one who did the dfiving on our long distance work-related trips.